April 30, 2009

Searching for an Undivided Heart

So lately I 've been trying to do a little reconstructive surgery on myself. Not in the literal sense, of course, but in the sense that I have been peacing out on the big man and trying to fill that void with friendships, relationships, school, shopping, you name it. Food may or may not be included in the void-filling list...don't judge I'm an emotional eater, so sue me.

Anyways, whenever I get down on myself I start to nit pick at things that I don't like in my life. When I finally catch myself doing this I tend to whip out my Bible and try to re-prioritize. Last night, I happened to open up to Psalms (which I love by the way because they are probably the most beautiful things ever written) and my eyes caught this little verse:

"Teach me your way, O Lord,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name."
--Psalm 86:11

And then it was like I had an epiphany. Don't you just love when that happens? It's so rare for me (I'm slow) that I just get so excited when it happens. What I realized is this: my heart is divided as heck! Because of my rollercoaster relationship with God, I have turned to earthly things and people to fill my longing for something more. When in reality I need to wake the heck up because God is constantly giving me all of this but I didn't even realize. So that, my friends, is a golden nugget. Is your heart divided among things? Are you looking for people to give you more because you forget that God is already giving it to you? Just something to think about.

Love.

1 comments:

4 single girls..telling their stories. said...

what is with people changing their blog and not telling me? my google reader doesn't just change things for me! next time you change your URL LET me know. ok thanks.

Love the post by the way.